Wednesday 11 November 2009

That Dangerous Hour

Well, it is coming up to 01:45 in the morning and my brain is wired, so wired that I cannot not sleep. This is never a good thing.

I used to refer to this as "The Dangerous Hour", and with very good reason. It is that hour where the majority of your peers are asleep, where silence descends all around you, and you are left with your thoughts. And that is the dangerous part.

Have you ever let your mind just wander? To just drift from one thing to another? Have you ever dared to see where such thought experiments can lead you? It is something that I have always been wary of now for a while, just laying in bed in silence and allowing my mind to wonder aimlessly like the proverbial cloud.

I do not mind it doing it via dreams since that is just the processing of the daily events, the endless sorting and arranging and the putting together of patterns unseen. Dreaming can be a wonderful process mechanism.

I have, for a while now, always avoided "The Dangerous Hour". In fact, my sleep pattern is usually very good, with sweet oblivion embracing me very quickly once my head hits the pillow. If I need a little encouragement then I will read, or listen to some music. It usually works.

But not tonight. Tonight I know that whilst the body may well be willing, my mind remains wired.

And it would be tonight. Tomorrow (well I say tomorrow as a matter of habit since I clearly mean today) is going to be a busy day. I allowed myself a day of rest today, a day of doing nothing, to help recharge the batteries, and moved some of the stuff that I could have done today onto tomorrow.

Tomorrow I need to purchase some luggage for Friday. I need to do washing so that I can pack on Thursday in preparation for Newcastle this weekend. I am then meeting friends for possibly a light shop (I am thinking maybe some jumpers), coffee, and fine conversation and company. I know it does not seem like much but I was hoping for an early start so that I could spread it out over the day.

But it is now nearly two o'clock and still no sign of sleep coming to me. Still my mind wants to race away. Maybe I should let it. See where it leads me, what dangerous ground it wants to cover during this early hour.

I should apologise for rambling so. I know that this is probably not an entertaining read. Have you even got to this part of the post? I personally would not blame you if you have already given up by now.

Well, I am going to return to my bed and hope for oblivion to arrive quickly. Maybe it will and I will awake refreshed in six hours time, ready to face the day and get done what needs to be done.

Who knows.

Like the saying goes, only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment